Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happy Half New Year!!!

***NOTE: it was just pointed out to me that it is not technically half way through the year until July 1st, but none-the-less it is still half new years to me -- just means more time to get things done!!***

So, it’s June 1st! When did that happen?! I don’t know about you, but around this time of year I start to have anxiety over the fact that the year is half done and I am not anywhere near accomplishing all that I have set out to do. My New Year resolutions (yes, I make them) are written down (and yes, I write them down) somewhere in my journal which I may or may not have opened in months. Every time I open my nightstand and see it sitting there I cringe. My normal response to this anxiety is to pretend it is not there, just busy myself with day to day things and hope it just goes away because it’s not like I have SIX MORE MONTHS to work on what ever it is that I “set out to do”. Hello?!?! When did I become a “glass half empty” kind of girl? The answer is NEVER. I can’t and I won’t.


So, June 1, 2010 will mark the beginning of a personal tradition for me – Half New Years!! A day when I schedule a block of time to look over the goals that I made for the year – give myself credit for the ones that I have worked on, remember and reevaluate the ones that I have not and then make changes or new commitments. There is no reason that I should beat myself up about not following through for another six months before starting the cycle again…that is silly and unproductive. Here are four of the things on my list:

  1. Start a consistent and realistic work out plan: at least 3 days a week. Bring workout clothes to work – I can pat myself on the back for this one!!! I started a bit later in the year that I wanted to, but as you know, I am doing a triathlon in September and have been doing bootcamp for the last month (you can read more about that here) and I start my next round of bootcamp this week!! I feel really good about this.
  2. Learn to make stuff from scratch, eat REAL/healthy food and try new things – started out good on this one at the beginning of the year, but then got insanely busy at work (blah blah blah) and my excitement for coming home and cooking a new and exciting meal disappeared. This is one that I am re-committing to. I know I can do it, it just takes planning, turns out that I am a planner – thanks for letting me chat that out. Done.
  3. Start a writing project: schedule writing time at least 3 times a week, be uninhibited, honest and real. Journal every night, even if just to write down 5 things I am thankful for that day – well, I certainly took my sweet ‘ol time on this one, but it is another one that I can celebrate. Not only have I started this blog, I am also writing a lot of ‘non blog’ things and that has been very cathartic for me. The one part I can work on is the journaling, it has been months, I re-commit to this for sure.
  4. Start learning SpanishNo esta bueno on this one. I have rosetta stone sitting in my office. I look at it every day. I do nothing about it every day. This has been a new year’s resolution of mine for ONE HUNDRED MILLION YEARS. I must make this happen. Time will be scheduled each week, even if just one day. I WILL MAKE THIS HAPPEN! (that’s me, pep-talking myself).

So there you have it – I feel better. I can easily do these things in the next six months. I see some serious jazz hands and high-fives between now and the end of 2010. It will be legendary – at least in my mind.

What about you? What is something that you want to recommit to? You can do it. I know you can.

4 comments:

  1. i LOVE the idea of a half new year!!! does this mean we get a party again????
    i would definitely want to step up my commitment to my writing. I feel like that has gotten pushed to the back burner because I don't HAVE to do it. but like I have to work out to get into my dress ya know? so that's what I will re-commit to, writing, blogging or journaling whatever works
    does that even make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  2. see I just can't take the pressure so this year my resolution/to do list became my life list instead and POOF!! Pressure be GONE!! Hey hon, forget Rosetta Stone, spend a few hours a week chatting with your new Cuban BFF and you'll have the Spanish think LICKED in no time - si mi amor muy bueno!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew more spanish too! I am kinda self concious about speaking it though...cause my bff's joke in high school about my fabulous accent was "Ohmagah, gag me with a cuchara".

    My husband is Mexican, thusly so are my kids, and I want them to learn spanish too. (Serena did think she spoke spanish in kindergarten though, her school was 97% hispanic so her friends were mostly bilingual. She would come home and with perfect accent start spouting off nonsense words, that kinda sorta sounded like spanish. Then she would ask me what she just said, confident that it was perfect spanish, but I digress).

    Let me know how your spanish is going!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great goals, Jen. Good luck to you with all of them!

    ReplyDelete